Marlowe's Shade

Sunday, January 14, 2007

UK Catholics Starting to Carry "Do Not Euthanize" Cards

From The Guardian

Catholics fearing an increasing acceptance of euthanasia in Britain are carrying religious 'ID cards' telling doctors not to withhold liquid from the patient.
Tens of thousands have been sold on the website of the Association of Catholic Women. It reads: 'In case of my admission to hospital, please contact a Roman Catholic priest. I would like my nursing care to include fluids - however administered.'

A General Medical Council spokesman said it was unaware of the card, but insisted that staff and members would be referred to the GMC's religious and ethical guidelines in ensuring respect for patients' religious beliefs


Were I a Catholic Brit, I would not find that last paragraph the least bit reassuring.
papijoe 8:41 AM
|