Marlowe's Shade

Friday, April 01, 2005

The Example of John Paul II

One unexpected blessing in recent months was my exposure to some wonderful Catholic bloggers. I'm a former Catholic. When I became born again as a Pentecostal Protestant [It still sounds odd to me to describe myself that way], I noticed a lot of ex-Catholic born-agains bashing the Catholic Church and thought this was absurd. I still believe despite doctrinal differences we are all the Body of Christ and I believe the Catholic Church will soon experience revival. I was recently blessed beyond words at my uncle's funeral mass, and experienced some inexpressible healing between myself and the Catholic Church.

I've has some issues with some of the things he has done in his tenure, but I will always remember the Pope's strength in his frailty, the image of him supported by his staff, which was the Cross. I know the significance of this was not lost on him or many Catholics. I think for all Christians this is an inspiration and model as we are feeling so weak and helpless in the face of Terri Schiavo's death.

We have to lean on the Cross alone, and cling to it for dear life.


Update - someguy at Mystery Achievement has a great post about John Paul II practicing what he preached.

Update - There have been reports that John Paul II has died. No links yet.
papijoe 8:18 AM
|