Marlowe's Shade

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Book Tag

evariste got me, and I better respond and get my tags in before I run out of taggees.

You’re stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

The easy answer is that I'm in the process of "being" the Bible regardless. I'm on my second attempt to read it cover to cover, going back and forth through multiple translations. Last time I think I skipped chunks of Leviticus, Deuteronomy and Numbers. This time due to my preoccupation with absolute moral law, I'm actually finding those parts fascinating. And who knew leprosy could grow on walls? Also this time there is a greater recognition of the Bible as the Sword of the Spirit. I don't have much scripture verse memorized, (my four year old can rattle off at least 26 passages at will), but what I do know is very useful.

But in a way I think this is a cop out, Christians shouldn't get any extra credit for the Bible. So I'd also memorize C. S. Lewis' Mere Christianity.


Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Not that I can remember, but I've had crushes on characters that were stranger than fiction...

The last book you bought is:

The Age of Sacred Terror For $1 in a cut out bin at Target. It got panned by the National Review for serving up a smorgasbord of excuses for Clinton's neglect of our security, but so far the basic facts presented are educational. We'll see.

The last book you read is:

Finished Stephen Hunter's Black Light for probably the third time.

What are you currently reading?

I'm finishing The Silmarillion for the second time.

Also The Spiritual Man by Watchman Nee.

Five books you would take to a desert island.



Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?

Jaime at Song of Time because he's a brainy romantic with exotic taste.

Colt, coz it's his birthday.

Jaco Pastorius at cuanas because he's a recovering bohemian like me, and someguy is probably busy working or asleep by now.

Update - Jaime weighs in with his picks. Why didn't I think of Borges?

Jaco says he'll be posting his tonight...

And I think Colt is completely fed up with me this time.
papijoe 10:14 AM
|