Marlowe's Shade

Monday, February 07, 2005

Entry 2-7

In his encounter with the Samaritan women at the well, Jesus tells us that we should worship him in spirit and in truth. I am still grappling which the idea that much if not all of what happens in the spirit is at least indescribable and possibly unrecognizable by the carnal mind.

Sometimes I dismiss this thought as a conceit, an excuse to explain my lack of tangible progress in my prayertime. And maybe I'm using it that way at times, but if we think about it, the Kingdom of God and the realm of the Spirit has to be more than what conventional wisdom has described to us. For example, Heaven not only has to be more than floating on clouds playing harps, it has to be indescribably more. Some of the more phantasmagorical visions of the Realm of the Spirit in Scripture point to a reality that transcends common thought and language. I do sense at times that something more than I am superficially aware of is going on in my prayertime but I don't seem to have the spiritual organs of comprehension and perception to make sense of it. I believe this is one of the reasons that when things don't make sense to us,we need to wait patiently on God.
papijoe 8:48 AM
|