Marlowe's Shade

Monday, October 11, 2004

Plain old American Water

Wretchard found this quote in Matt Bai recent article about Kerry's plan for dealing with terrorism. It's a total digression from the subject of the article. Technically it would seem to violate my recent "no ridicule" rule for posting about Kerry. But it made me laugh, and doesn't feel mean spirited. Judge for yourself and let me know if I've backslidden.

"Can we get any of my water?" he asked Stephanie Cutter, his communications director, who dutifully scurried from the room. I asked Kerry, out of sheer curiosity, what he didn't like about Evian.

"I hate that stuff," Kerry explained to me. "They pack it full of minerals."

"What kind of water do you drink?" I asked, trying to make conversation.

"Plain old American water," he said.

"You mean tap water?"

"No ... There are all kinds of waters," he said finally. Pause. "Saratoga Spring. ... Sometimes I drink tap water," he added.
papijoe 10:28 AM
|