Marlowe's Shade

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Letter to the Principal

There's so much going on these days that I didn't give the story of the New Jersey teacher the attention it deserves. Many of you have heard of how Shiba Pillai-Diaz was forced to remove a picture of President Bush from her classroom. Nick (soon to be a United States Marine) from Twenty-first Century Republican reminded me to send a message in support of Ms Pillai-Diaz to her principal, James Warfel. Here's what I wrote:

Dear Mr Warfel,

I find it somewhat unbelievable that I am writing to support one of your teachers, Shiba Pillai-Diaz, because she had a picture of our President in her classroom. As an American, a parent, and one who has been considering the teaching profession as a career change, I find it incredible that Ms Pillai-Diaz has been put into this position. How can you justify a ban on a picture of a current president? Would this even have been an issue if President Clinton was still in office? You are quoted in the Home News Tribune as leveling this accusation against Ms Pillai-Diaz: "You've caused more disruption, hatred and anger than anyone I've ever known." I think the message that this injustice and intimidation sends to her students is devastating.
I respectfully request you rectify this shocking lapse of judgment. Ms. Pillai-Diaz did nothing wrong, and as one of your employees you have done her a great disservice. Similarly your Assistant Principal Mr Daniels should be dismissed for threatening her livelihood over this matter. The children of your school deserve better examples of how adults conduct themselves.
Thank you for hearing me out.


I had a line in there out how the students needed a principal with principles, but decided it was too corny.
Here is Mr Warfel's email as posted on the school's website.
papijoe 5:55 AM
|