Marlowe's Shade

Thursday, October 07, 2004

Christians: Zionist and "Anti-Zionist"

I've been meaning to comment for some time on the story of how the Anglican/Episcopal and Presbyterian churches are planning on divesting from Israel. I could spend a lot of time analysing this trend in mainline Protestant churches, but the quick and dirty explanation is that the old doctrinal error of replacement theology has converged with more liberal doctrines that dismiss the literal meaning of the Bible. It matters little that these two doctrines conflict with each other. Either might be used to condemn Israel. And I should mention in fairness that I know of many in both denominations that disagree strongly with their own anti-Zionist factions. The article cited above quotes a petition that was sent to the Presbyterian leadership:

"Only the moral blindness of Jew-hatred could lead the church to compare Israel’s multi-racial democracy to apartheid South Africa," the petition says. "Only anti-Semitism could lead the church to condemn democratic Israel, while not voting divestment from Saudi Arabia, where women have virtually no rights and non-Muslims are not even permitted to enter the country without special permission, from Sudan, where race-based genocide is occurring even as we speak, from Iran, where Bahai are murdered for their faith, or from the many other countries where human rights are violated as a matter of routine." The petition concludes: "We condemn the Presbyterian divestment resolution as an act of hatred against Israel and the Jewish people and call for its immediate revocation."

So why do some Christians support Israel? Since Christian Zionists outnumber not only Jewish Zionists, but Jews themselves, it is important to understand the motivation. It is certainly not political loyalty, as most Christian Zionist are Republicans and conservatives and most Jews are Democrats and liberals. I've heard that many believe the only reason for Christian support for Israel is that Christians feel it is their duty to convert Jews, or that they are required to play a role in various end-times (Apocalypse, Armegeddeon) scenarios. While this may be true for some Christians, I've never met a single Christian who gave this as a reason for supporting Israel. In a study by the Florida International University, the #1 reason for support of Israel in a combined study of Protestants and Catholics is terrorism, followed closely by a belief that Israel has a Biblical claim on the Holy Land. Broken out, more Protestants supported the religious reason than Catholics. Catholic sympathy was due more to practical concerns, terrorism as previously mentioned and sympathy for the historic plight of the Jew, whereas the Protestant motivations were more faith based. A similar faith related catagory that Protestants gave as their motivation (9% vs. 5% for Catholics) was "belief in Israeli/Jewish cause" This seems to me more embracing than the "Biblical birthright" catagory, and is likely the one I would have chosen. Speaking for myself and many other Christians I know, God has given me a heart for Israel and the Jewish people. This relationship started long before I became a committed Christian, and I don't really understand it myself, but there is a strong emotional connection with Israel and the Jewish people which I have to conclude at this point is supernatural in origin.
He's not always my first choice as a spokesman for Christendom, but their is no doubt that Jerry Falwell loves and suppors Israel. His interview on Tovia Singer is very interesting for anyone who would like to hear another perspective.
There is a lot more I could say about this if I had the time. I haven't even touched on the doctrinal reasons why replacement theology is wrong, although the article I linked is a good start. If anyone finds this short position statement unsatisfactory, it wouldn't take to much encouragement for me to expand on it when time permits.

Update - Two more points on this before I turn in. Jerry Falwell mentions Genesis 12:3 in his interview, where God is blessing Abraham:

I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you."


This critical scripture is referred in the verses I was reading tonight from Romans 11:13-21. I don't know how replacement theologians miss this or gloss it over, but it is particularly relevent to them:

For I speak to you Gentiles; inasmuch as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry, if by any means I may provoke to jealousy those who are my flesh and save some of them. For if their being cast away is the reconciling of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?
For if the firstfruit is holy, the lump is also holy; and if the root is holy, so are the branches. And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree, do not boast against the branches. But if you do boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you.
You will say then, "Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in." Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either


According to Paul's analogy, if replacement theologians don't honor the root of their spiritual sustainance which is Judaism, they are nothing more than parasites.
papijoe 9:28 AM
|